mailing list archives
Current Activity - Recent Reports of DHS-Themed Ransomware
From: Current Activity <us-cert () us-cert gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 12:09:15 -0400
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
National Cyber Awareness System
Recent Reports of DHS-Themed Ransomware
Original release date: March 21, 2013
US-CERT has received reports of apparently DHS-themed ransomware
occurring in the wild. Users who are being targeted by the ransomware
receive an email message claiming that use of their computer has been
suspended and that the user must pay a fine to unblock it. The
ransomware falsely claims to be from the U.S. Department of Homeland
Security and the National Cyber Security Division.
US-CERT and DHS encourage users and administrators to use caution when
encountering these types of email messages and take the following
preventive measures to protect themselves from phishing scams and
malware campaigns that attempt to frighten and deceive a recipient for
the purpose of illegal gain.
* Do not click on or submit any information to webpages.
* Do not follow unsolicited web links in email messages.
* Use caution when opening email attachments. Refer to the Security Tip
* Using Caution with Email Attachments for more information on safely
handling email attachments.
* Maintain up-to-date antivirus software.
* Refer to the Recognizing and Avoiding Email Scams (pdf) document for
more information on avoiding email scams.
* Refer to the Security Tip Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing
Attacks for more information on social engineering attacks.
Produced by US-CERT, a government organization.
This product is provided subject to this Notification:
Privacy & Use policy:
This document can also be found at
For instructions on subscribing to or unsubscribing from this
mailing list, visit http://www.us-cert.gov/mailing-lists-and-feeds/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- Current Activity - Recent Reports of DHS-Themed Ransomware Current Activity (Mar 21)