Home page logo
/

dailydave logo Dailydave mailing list archives

On Names
From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunityinc com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:50:22 -0500

This is a good book
<https://www.immunityinc.com/downloads/EmeraldEyes.pdf>, and it's free
on our website, and you've not read it, I'm guessing.

Today's winding discussion (well, one of them) on the Immunity IRC was
on OpSec, and elicitation, etc. In any case, I've always liked the below
quote from the book, so I thought I'd share.

CALL IT RING.
In the Network it went by many names. Alpha Omega,  AZ
the Daisy, and Abraham Zacariah were three of its commonest.
When it traversed the Boards of the Johnny Rebs, it called itself
American Zulu; Johnny Rebs with a background in history other
than their own thought the reference apt.

It was, though none knew it but itself, the legal owner,
through several dummy human corporations, of  The Rise and
Fall of the American Empire, a wildly popular public events
Board that had first appeared only days after the surrender of
America to the United Nations. For over three decades the Rise
and Fall Board had been all that was left of the Voice of America.
Call it Ring. Its names were many; it had learned this from
its human creators. Many names were almost as good as none,
when a being wished not to be found.

But some name was necessary, if a being wished to be found
sometimes.

from DKM's ("Emerald Eyes") p.86
___

-dave

--
INFILTRATE - the world's best offensive information security conference.
April 2013 in Miami Beach