Home page logo
/

dataloss logo Data Loss mailing list archives

Montreal police say ‘no sen sitive information released' in alleged hack
From: Erica Absetz <erica () riskbasedsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:36:19 -0400

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-police-say-no-sensitive-information-released-in-alleged-hack-1.1203611

MONTREAL—No sensitive information was contained in an apparent
security breach, the Montreal police confirmed on Wednesday. A day
earlier, photos along with the names and phone numbers of officers
were published online.

The Montreal police suffered two serious security breaches in the past
year. In this latest alleged leak, a 389 page list of names was first
released nearly a month ago from an online storage service. The
release was accompanied by a note warning the police that more
information could be released.

“For the moment we have no reason to believe that someone got through
[to our system,]” said Montreal police spokesman Ian Lafreniere.
“That’s a fact. The list that is there isn’t a secret, that kind of
list is public.

“However, they used that list to try to intimidate police officers and
say, ‘We’re watching you, we will put pressure on you.’ No sensitive
information was contained.”

Included in the alleged leak were personal photos of police officers,
taken either from Facebook pages or during last year’s student
protests. The release also contains photos that purport to identify
undercover officers.

While the material is public, the police are investigating as they
believe the alleged leak is a “clear act of intimidation,” a violation
of the Criminal Code.

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.

  By Date           By Thread