Home page logo
/

dataloss logo Data Loss mailing list archives

Key Bank customers warned of ID thefts
From: Erica Absetz <eabsetz () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:30:26 -0500

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/key-bank-customers-warned-of-id-thefts

TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WIVB) - Town of Tonawanda Police are warning Key Bank
customers their accounts may have been compromised.

Authorities say in the last two weeks, they have fielded at least 23
identity theft complaints. All of the cases involve Key Bank accounts.

Jon Bova is one of the customers affected. He didn't realize his
credit card number had been stolen until the bank called him.

"I've never been to Long Island in my life and all of a sudden there's
a $209 charge from an Apple store," he said. "They noticed it because
there was a purchase in Amherst and then a purchase on Long Island 20
minutes later and I think that's how they noticed it."

Therese Myers, a representative for Key Bank, told News 4 reporter
Emily Guggenmos that there was a breach with their Mastercard credit
and debit cards that occurred at a fast food chain in western New
York.

"These breaches are not happening at Key Bank. They are happening at a
local fast food chain," Myers said.

She would not elaborate further about the breach, which fast food
chain was involved, or how many people have been affected.

However, police noted that all of their complaints came from customers
of Key Bank. And News 4 has found at least one identity theft victim
who does not visit fast food restaurants and also has a Key Bank
account.

If it did come from a fast food chain, Bova had an idea which one it was.

"There was only one place. It was a fast food restaurant on the corner
of Sheridan and Sweet Home that I used my card at that I don't
normally go to. I am very selective about where I use my card and that
was the only place different that I used my card. And a couple days
later, all of a sudden there's money missing out of my account," he
said.

Police say Key Bank customers should check their accounts to make sure
they have not been compromised. The purchases are being made all over
the country and Canada.

Bova said," I obviously told them it wasn't me, I didn't make this
purchase. I had to contest it to get my money back and until I fill
out the affidavit that they sent me, the money is not going to be
returned for me. It's extremely frustrating. I would like to think
that Buffalo is the City of Good Neighbors and people are honest and
try to do the right thing, but that's not always the case."

Myers says if you notice an unauthorized purchase on your card, call
the bank immediately. If you're a Key Bank customer, they will then
ask you to destroy your card and issue you a new one.

Town of Tonawanda Police say you should also file a police report.

Supporters:

Risk Based Security (http://www.riskbasedsecurity.com/)
Risk Based Security equips organizations with security intelligence, risk
management services and on-demand security solutions to establish
customized risk-based programs to address information security and
compliance challenges.

Tenable Network Security (http://www.tenable.com/)
Tenable Network Security provides a suite of solutions which unify real-time
vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface
for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and
report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.

  By Date           By Thread