Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spam return address backlash
From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 14:50:25 -0600

We see this occasionally, but not often.  And no uptick here in recent
days/weeks.

-ken

Roger Safian wrote:
Greetings,

In the last couple weeks we have seen several of our
addresses used as the from address in spam.  This
causes few serious problems, but does generate an
increase in the number of spam complaints to our
abuse aliases.

It does cause a serious issue if the chosen address
used by the spammer, also happens to be a real
address in use here at Northwestern.  We have
heard of people receiving hundreds of bounced messages
per day if this happens.  We recommend filters,
but there's little else we can do to stop this.

My questions are two.  Is this happening elsewhere,
and if so, have you recently noticed an increase
in this activity?

--
- Ken