Educause Security Discussion
mailing list archives
SURVEY: Research Institutions / Border Firewalls
From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:38:44 -0600
In part of proposing campus firewall solutions, we wish to include some
perspective on what other Research Universities are doing for border
firewalls. Please reply directly to myself and I'll summarize replies
back to the list. I will remove your identity from your answer if you
I'm primarily interested in what other research-focused institutions are
1) Do you require central server registration?
2) Do you require VPN for off-campus access?
a. If Yes, is it:
3) Do you have a firewall on your primary internet link?
4) Do you have a firewall on your I2/Research Links?
5) Do you use primarily use dark IP addressing?
6) Is your IT structure centralized or decentralized?
7) Do you use a web proxy or SOCKS?
8) What scenario best describes your firewall policy:
a. "one size fits all" (such as allow only port 80 and 443
b. customized in place; Don't have to change the IP address and
any services requested are allowed.
c. customized DMZ": You can get whatever you want as long as you
move your server into a DMZ.
d. Other: Please describe
9) How do you handle folks doing videoconferencing or legitimate
peer-to-peer (BitTorrent Linux downloads)
10) Are there any things about your setup you would have done
differently with 20-20 hindsight?
Thanks for taking the time to reply
UAB Data Security, 205-975-0842
- SURVEY: Research Institutions / Border Firewalls Chris Green (Feb 12)