Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spam return address backlash
From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:07:43 +1300

Dick Jacobson wrote:
I have heard from a couple external users that are pretty irate that our
bounces are going to them when their address was spoofed.  They say that
the RFC is wrong and we should just reconfigure our environment according
to their specifications.  In fact, that is SpamCop's contention also.  We
haven't done that yet.

We are actively working towards being able to refuse all undeliverable
mail at delivery time so we don't have to generate bounce messages.
This is never going to be 100%  but for some sub domains we have reduced
bounce rate from 50% down to well below 10%.  It all helps.  Some large
(by our standards ;) local ISPs stopped sending any acknowledgement of
undeliverable mail at least two years ago (presumably to defeat brute
force attacks on their mail space) and it is a real PITA.   You mistype
an address and you never know...
It must be really biting them now as they have to accept and process all
incoming spam even if it is to immediately drop it on the floor.

However I think this thread has drifted and this isn't the issue that
Roger was asking about.

Cheers, Russell

  By Date           By Thread