Educause Security Discussion
mailing list archives
Job Posting: Security Administrator at Loyola University Chicago
From: Joe Bazeley <JBAZELE () LUC EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 16:23:15 -0500
Loyola University Chicago is seeking applicants to fill a full time Security Administrator position. For full position
information or to apply please go to https://www.careers.luc.edu and search for the job title "Security Administrator".
The Security Administrator supports the Information Security Officer, primarily through monitoring and configuring
security systems and devices on the Loyola network. These systems include intrusion detection systems (IDS),
peer-to-peer traffic management systems, network access control systems, network and vulnerability scanning systems,
and other security systems. This position will work with other teams within the Information Technology Services (ITS)
division, as well as with other divisions across the university.
Responsibilities, Duties, and Tasks
1. Monitor and configure intrusion detection systems (IDS) to protect the Loyola network from malicious network attacks
and to identify compromised faculty, staff, and student machines.
2. Monitor and configure peer-to-peer (P2P) management systems to ensure that available network bandwidth is available
to allow research and educational use of the network instead of being fully consumed by P2P traffic from students.
3. Assist with monitoring and configuring network access control (NAC) systems to ensure that only approved computers
are allowed to access the residential and wireless networks.
4. Assist with network and vulnerability scanning to ensure that Loyola systems are appropriately protected.
5. Assist in processing departmental reports concerning computers housing personally identifiable information.
6. Coordinate and/or assist with incident response and event handling needs. Will include being on-call and working
outside of regular business hours as needed.
7. Implement and test new security hardware and software.
8. Assist Network Services team in troubleshooting network connectivity issues to confirm that they are not caused by
the IDS, P2P management systems, or NAC systems.
9. Assist with annual information security tasks, such as key and badge access audits and security assessments by 3rd
10. Identify needs and gaps, make recommendations and work with vendors to remedy those items.
11. Assist with creating and modifying information security policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
12. Maintain confidentiality of investigations.
13. Other duties and projects as assigned.
Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) required, preferably in Computer Science or related field and two years related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination or education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret network trace files and log files.
Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Strong knowledge of and familiarity with Windows and Linux operating systems.
A strong understanding of TCP/IP, network security, and workstation and server security is preferred.
Knowledge of and familiarity with intrusion detection systems (especially snort) is also preferred.
2+ years experience with intrusion detection systems.
2+ years experience with incident response.
Certifications in areas relating to network management and security
Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
- Job Posting: Security Administrator at Loyola University Chicago Joe Bazeley (Sep 18)