Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Route table growth and router hardware limits
From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:40:11 -0400

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:43:08 PDT, Joe St Sauver said:
There was an interesting and (IMHO) very important thread recently on NANOG
that I suspect some people may have overlooked because they may not be on
that list, or because they missed it in the volume of traffic on that list,
or because of thread subject labeling drift, or because of unlucky timing
(lots of people out on vacation in August, etc.), or whatever. Hopefully
folks at most schools will already be on top of this issue, but on the off
chance not, I wanted to make sure I mentioned it here so no one gets an
unpleasant surprise in a few months.

Fortunately, the vast majority of schools don't live in the default-route-free
zone where full tables are important.  Their routers aren't about to fall over
during Christmas break.  The *big* issue here is that many schools may be
getting their one or two Internet connections from providers who will get bit
by this, and it won't be obvious to the *school* why their Internet experience
just fell over.

So you all may want to contact your upstream providers and ask *them* where
they sit regarding the problem that Joe has mentioned....

  By Date           By Thread