Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA timestamps off
From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 08:31:52 -0500

I will echo Rick's sentiments and experiences.  I, too, have been
dealing with these since day one.  We have never had a student dispute
the copyright infringement complaint other than a case or two where the
student registered another's computer for them.  In those cases, we
redirected the complaint to the true owner and had no further dispute.

- ken

Rick Coloccia wrote:
We got 14 these past two weeks.  Very frustrating, since we use a
packet shaper and an Audible Magic box to minimize this kind of
traffic.  (All 14 were for encrypted protocols...) In every single
case, the student admits, "Yes I use limewire/ares/etc" and "Yes I
have that song" so while the timestamps may well be off we don't think
that's a significant issue with regard to these takedown notices.  Our
students admit to the file sharing (but most claim they don't know
that the same program that lets them get the song re-shares it to the
world), they get their stern warning, and life goes on.  I realize
that there are technical differences between "making available" and
someone "actually downloading" the song via a p2p program, but with my
students the difference isn't truly significant.  We bring students
in, teach them the highlights of the dmca, insist they uninstall any
p2p software, explain how the takedown notice affects them as a
Geneseo student (If we receive a second takedown notice on their
behalf, they'll meet the Dean of Students who will likely start a
process that can only end in suspension or expulsion) and send them on
their way.  It works for us.
I'm not taking the side of the riaa, just sharing my experiences
having done this for years now, since the very first one...

-Rick