Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: blocking port 25 at the border?
From: Kenneth Arnold <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:46:21 -0500

Christian Brothers University has been limiting the ability to both send
email and receive email from the internet for many years now.  Before we
set that policy we were being blacklisted quite regularly by an email
server somewhere on campus that was not configured properly. We have
central spam and virus protection using Barracuda.  We have also
discovered that this policy makes it easy to spot some virus or worm
infected computers on campus because we have configured snort to alert
us to any non-approved machine trying to connect to port 25 outside of
our network

Brother Kenneth Arnold
Director of Network Systems
Christian Brothers University

Bob Bayn wrote:
Do you regulate port 25 at the border?
If so, what is your procedure for allowing an exception
(for a legit email server)?
What administrative approvals were required at your
institution before you could regulate port 25?

Bob Bayn
IT Security Team
Utah State University
Logan, UT