Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy publication
From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:55:24 -0500

At 05:00 AM 10/25/2008, Geoff Nathan put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Just a quick question--as always, reply to me and I'll summarize for the list.
Does publishing the standards for strong passwords (e.g. eight characters, at
least one upper case, at least one numeral) constitute a security hazard by
giving information to potential hackers?

I'll take a chance.  Sure it does.  That being said, it's, IMHO, less of
a risk than allowing users to choose a password with no complexity.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.

  By Date           By Thread