Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical Security - How many IT Departments have Restricted Access?
From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:58:54 +1300

On 8/11/2008, at 2:04 PM, Ken Connelly wrote:

Sean -

We have a similar physical layout.  There is one door to the IT office
area from the hallway that is unlocked during business hours.  A
reception desk inside that door is usually staffed, but not 100% of
the
time.  There are other staff near the reception area that respond to
visitors when the reception desk is vacant.  We've operated in that
mode
since moving to our current location in 1990 without incident.

Ditto for us.  An open foyer with controlled access to the rest of the
building.  Staff members who are regular visitors normally will get
their proximity cards registered for access.  Other staff who are
'known' are normally admitted by front desk staff.   Everyone else
needs a staff member to come and collect them.

Ideally we would like the management offices open to the public but
the building design does not make this easy and with two large open
plan areas we really don't want people wandering around.  The "machine
room" is now located in a separate building (part of a floor of a
carpark building) and has separate strict access control and even I
have to come in through the operations area and be vetted.

Russell

  By Date           By Thread