Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mitigating Phishing Attacks
From: "Conlee, Keith" <conlee () COD EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:24:19 -0600

Sorry for the delay, but I am playing catch up.  We also have experienced an increase of phishing attacks and a couple
users have taken the hook causing us to get blacklisted, etc. and the clean-up that follows.

This last phishing attack the sender masqueraded as the "System Administrator" by either spoofing the sender's address,
or sending from a previously compromised email account and signing as "System Administrator."  It was the old phishing
scam warning the user " Your mailbox has exceeded the storage limit."  As the IT department we have told our users that
we (IT) will never send them an unsolicited email asking them for any sensitive input (e.g. ID and password, etc.).  We
(IT) are thinking of making a new  policy decision that we will not send out any "active" links in email that will take
the user to a webpage and ask for their sensitive data (e.g., ID and password).  Instead we will provide a description
of the webpage they need to go to (e.g. Employee Portal) and provide an "inactive" text link and instruct them to cut
and paste (or type) the text into the address bar of their browser (for convenience).  It is MOST convenient to just
provide the link, but since links can be spoofed and take you elsewhere, an inactive text link that can either be
cut-and-pasted or typed into a browser location bar provides some convenience and we think is safer.  The only way we
can go wrong is if our College website gets hacked.  ANY THOUGHTS - Good or Bad?

Thanks for any responses.

Keith Conlee, JD, CISSP, CISA, CBCP
Chief Security Officer, IT
College of DuPage