Educause Security Discussion
mailing list archives
UTM Firewall vs IPS appliance
From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 17:05:42 -0400
We are looking at refreshing our firewalls and are wondering what others
are doing in terms of IPS. Is the UTM firewall winning over a separate IPS
appliance? What are you using and why?
I could see a few different factors when considering this decision.
1. Budget. Single appliance is likely less expensive than 2.
2. Culture. If security is a separate dept than networking perhaps it
would make more sense to have the security team run the IPS as
a separate appliance and the network team control the traditional FW.
3. For some the answer might be both if you have a fat budget and want
redundancy in IPS.
4. If you want to have multiple sensor points perhaps a series of IPS
appliances would be best. UTMs are typically just at the edge.
5. Any other factors to consider such as performance?
IT Infrastructure Manager
- UTM Firewall vs IPS appliance John Kaftan (May 20)