Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passthoughts?
From: "Berman, Mark" <mberman () SIENA EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 06:57:49 -0400

Theresa, I heard about this on one of the podcasts I listen to on my
commute (I think "Spark" from CBC). Pretty amazing, but the story I heard
made it sound a long way from workable. Still it's a cool combination of 2
factor authentication: something you know and something you are. Way back
in the last century I remember thinking that a great entrepreneurial
business concept would be a central authentication system that you could
subscribe to with all your various logins: stores, banks, schools, ...
Since then there have been various tries at that such as Microsoft
Passport, InCommon, Google and Facebook, but none have really caught on. Of
course with all of those you have to trust the one managing the credentials
and realize that if that one gets compromised ALL your services have been
violated.

Seems to me that all we can really control is our own environment and here
at Siena we are working towards a single login credential for most college
services, managed by Microsoft FIM. We make an exception for the ERP
(Banner). Even though we could include it, the thinking (not mine) is that
people are less than secure about their email password and in particular
our HR folks feel that their responsibility to maintain confidentiality for
payroll information requires a separate login. Personally I feel that when
more and more important stuff is protected by your password you are more
likely to protect it and use it wisely.

That's probably more response than you were looking to provoke with your
rainy-day think, but that's what you get when I'm replying on a rainy
morning here!  :)

 - Mark
--
Mark Berman, Chief Information Officer
Siena College
515 Loudon Road
Loudonville, NY  12211
(518)782-6957,  Fax: (518)783-2590
*Siena College is a learning community advancing the ideals of a liberal
arts education, rooted in its identity as a Franciscan and Catholic
institution.
*
*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
distribution is prohibited. If you received this e-mail and are not the
intended recipient, please inform the sender by e-mail reply and destroy
all copies of the original message.*

---------Theresa said:
In our strategic planning review, we noted the increasing number of login
credentials the average person maintains, and we thought it was a growing
challenge.  I thought someone would find some other solution.  Here's one,
although I have to admit I find it a little creepy.

http://www.govtech.com/security/Will-Passthoughts-Replace-Passwords.html?elq=582c5aa1e31b41aaa202d95816cffae4&elqCampaignId=3740#.UWa3dEgFnM8.email

Just something to think about on this rainy Michigan Thursday -

--
Theresa Rowe
Chief Information Officer

  By Date           By Thread