Home page logo
/

educause logo Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Google Apps alerts protocol
From: Emily Harris <emharris () VASSAR EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 11:22:02 -0400

We recently turned on Google alerts and we are wondering what to do with
them.  We had turned on the alerts previously, back in August, and received
12 in less than 72 hours.  Lacking any protocol or policy on how to handle
them, we immediately turned off the alerts.

We just re-enable them and are in "wait and see" mode.  We have received
about 10 alerts since last Tuesday, and have not yet requested audits.  We
are evaluating what we should do with the alerts and what sort of protocol
we should develop and follow.

We have noticed that the alerts are rudimentary and don't tell us much.
 If, for example, I leave my work machine on and logged into google, and
then I go on vacation and check email, it will trigger one alert that says
I logged in from, say, Mexico.  But it seems to not send another alert or
any other information, such as "yesterday this person logged in from
Poughkeepsie, and today from Mexico, and two hours later from Wales"  That
might indicate a problem, clearly, but the alerts are nowhere near as
informational.

Can any other college share what protocols and policies you have in place
for dealing with Google Alerts?  Thank you!

--
Emily Harris
Director, Networks & Systems, CIS

  By Date           By Thread