Educause Security Discussion
mailing list archives
NCSAM 2013 is Wrapping Up—What's Next?
From: Jodi Ito <jodi () HAWAII EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:49:30 -1000
National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) 2013 is wrapping up today. Here are 5 things we'd like to share about
what's been happening this month and what's next.
1) Thank you and congratulations to you, the higher education community, for a very successful celebration of the 10th
anniversary of NCSAM! We've enjoyed learning about the fun, creative activities and events taking place on your campus.
2) Over 190 institutions (our highest number in 10 years!) shared their plans with us during the month of October. See
what events took place by visiting our NCSAM Resource Kit: http://tinyurl.com/NCSAMresourcekit
3) We had 100 higher ed institutions sign up as NCSAM Champions (twice as many as 2012). For a complete list,
4) We hope that campuses will continue to educate and train students, staff, and faculty on the importance of security
awareness throughout the year – not just in October. Be sure to check out the Cybersecurity Awareness Resource Library
for new materials or inspiration: http://tinyurl.com/NCSAMresourcekit
5) Please consider celebrating Data Privacy Month<http://www.educause.edu/dpm> on your campus in 2014. Data Privacy
Day<http://www.staysafeonline.org/dpd> is January 28, 2014. We will continue to celebrate a month of Data Privacy in
the higher ed community January 28-February 28. EDUCAUSE will kick off DPM with a webinar on January 30, 2014. Please
save the date!
Finally, would like to thank the National Cyber Security Alliance<http://www.staysafeonline.org/ncsam> and the
Department of Homeland Security<http://www.dhs.gov/stopthinkconnect> for making it easier for campuses to promote NCSAM
throughout the month of October!
Dave Lyon and Jodi Ito
Co-Chairs, Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) NCSAM Task Force
p.s. It's never too early to start planning for NCSAM next year! :-)
- NCSAM 2013 is Wrapping Up—What's Next? Jodi Ito (Oct 31)