Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: user based IP address assginment
From: "daN." <dan () nesmail com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 12:33:30 -0800

There is a way to do this but its kind of a pain.
1. Machine gets turned on.
2. gets assigned a non addressable IP via DHCP (different subnet if you are already behind a nat) 3. user goes to a webserver also on the non addressable network and enters username/password 4. executes a php script to take the MAC address out of the communications and modify dhcpd.conf to add a reservation for the newly logged in machine. 5. user runs winipcfg and hits release all/renew all. gets assigned the reserved IP now on the local network.

This doesn't add any security to your network because a user can always set their IP address manually .

mutated