Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: user based IP address assginment
From: Daniel Julien <daniel.julien () thc state tx us>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 17:57:48 -0600

At 08:31 AM 10/31/00 -0600, Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com wrote:
#is there any Tool or any way to assgin an IP address depending on the
UserID?

     I am pretty sure there is no way to do this in Windows.  The issue
here is how DHCP/BOOTP/RARP work.  In all instances at bootup time a
machine sends out it's MAC address and receives an IP address.  The issue
here is that you log in after your machine has an IP address.  Since you
need to reboot every time you change your IP address in Windows 95/98/NT,
you really cannot assign an IP address based on username.

Not true. The NT command-line utility "ipconfig" will release or renew a DHCP lease, as will the Win95 GUI utility "winipcfg". So you could run ipconfig as part of a login script to get an IP address. Given this, the problem is How does the DHCP server know what address it should give out? As you say, all the server knows is the MAC address. This is the problem I don't see a solution for.

--Dan