Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Borderware - will it handle a 10mb pipe worth of traffic?
From: "PAZ (Ariel Pisetsky)" <ariel () sys-security com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 13:42:38 +0200

Borderware is a fine product. That said, I allow myself to say that it isn't suitable for anyone, especially those how
seek fine tuned rule bases.
I was a Bordareware implementor in the past, and still use the product today. As other products have advanced,
Borderware didn't. I believe that it should be used as a secure mail or DNS gateway and not as a firewall (maybe that
is way the new line of products based on the firewall was developed by Border?). The firewall product is very strict,
hence any special rule (they aren't called rules in the Border terminology, they are called a Proxy) is a battle of
wits with the firewall. The case might be that you cant actually create a external to internal "Proxy" the way you
wrote you wish, since the firewall allows only external connections to the DMZ (SSN in Border terminology). Unless you
use the firewall IP for the job (this means that you can use only one IP).
One may want to examine the Border statement that the firewall is a Proxy. In lab tests that I conducted the HTTP proxy
wasn't as effective in finding bogus HTTP connections. It was enough for the port to be 80 and the connection could
pass through. Even Check Point, that don't claim to be a proxy level firewall have better capabilities with their
"Secure Server" configured to check HTTP connections.
I don't intend to slam the Border firewall product, as I stated at the beginning of this mail "Borderware is a fine
product". I just don't think of it as a firewall anymore, since other products give much more granular capabilities.

PAZ
www.sys-security.com