Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: POP vs IMAP vs MAPI - security through firewalls?
From: Patrick Darden <darden () armc org>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:55:52 -0500 (EST)

I don't know if it is more secure, but MAPI is less resource intensive.
I've been looking into MS Exchange alternatives, and all the specs from
them show that MAPI can support 10-100X the numbers of simultaneous
clients.

http://www.eridu.org/
http://www.openmail.com/cyc/om/00/index.html

Specific implementations of POP3 and IMAP4 do have a history of security
problems, but as far as I know they are all cleared up.

Putting MS Exchange on the internet, unless you have a really good
NT/Security guru is going to be chancy (IMHO it is like putting up a
target.)

--
--Patrick Darden                Internetworking Manager
--                              706.354.3312    darden () armc org