Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

printer problem
From: hermit1 <hermits () mac com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:20:17 -0700

I have a very odd problem. There are people here using a remote printer, and last week they lost access to the printer. Of course they blamed the firewall, but FW-1 logs show the connections going out just fine. Doing a telnet to the remote IP on port 515 times out. Traceroute, ping, telnet - all reach the destination. We tried from home (two different ISPs) and could not connect on port 515.

Sounds like port 151 was blocked at their end, but users from other sites can reach that printer without trouble. Their network person can reach the printer from his home ISP, and print.

My guess is that someone somewhere put a block on port 515. Is there any way to find such a block? Doing traceroute on port 515 would be good.....

Thanks,
hermit1