Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Inappropriate TCP Resets Considered Harmful
From: Sally Floyd <floyd () aciri org>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 20:34:54 -0700

I am new to this mailing list, but I wanted to point people here
to a new internet-draft of mine on "Inappropriate TCP Resets Considered
Harmful", at
"http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tcp-reset-00.txt";,
which argues that firewalls should not send TCP Resets (RST) in response
to TCP SYN packets that contain flags in the TCP Reserved field.

(Of 24,000 or so web servers that we tested as part of the TBIT project,
only 300 or so were behind firewalls that send TCP resets in this case,
so clearly most of the world seems to be maintaining reasonably adequate
security without sending TCP Resets in this case.)

I just learned of this mailing list, so I thought that, as long as
I was writing something directed in part at firewall behavior, I
would send it to this list for feedback.

Thanks,
- Sally
http://www.aciri.org/floyd/