Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: "firewalls are obsolete" rant
From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:32:28 -0600

On 1/26/06, Jim Seymour <jseymour () linxnet com> wrote:

He actually has what sounds like a reasonable, work-related reason for
wanting to access a technically-related IRC network/channel.  I told
him if he wanted to use a Unix/Linux client approved by I.T., we could
discuss it.  But no client/desktop systems, particularly those from a
Certain Large Software Company, and *certainly* no client/desktop
systems over which the end-user has admin rights.

I wonder if there's a *good* IRC proxy out there that will block DCC
for me...?

Jim

If your IT department approves of users being local admins, why would
you trust them to know anything about IRC clients?

It's fun to poke at MS, I guess, but it should be done with a sharp
stick if you want approval for it. Frankly, I'm blown away by all of
the updates that my laptop has gotten from novell just since the last
release - and from the looks of bugtraq, its not any better for any of
the other distributions. Begs the question, what OS are you running
that makes your IRC safer than mine - or your user's? Considering that
its providing the same services, and most of the exploits I've read
about require a user to do soemthing, I don't see the OS as that big
of a security hole - as usual its the user...and in this case, your IT
group is an accomplice.