Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: General question, was: question on securing out-of-band management
From: "golovast" <golovast () yandex ru>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:30:36 +0300 (MSK)

I don't necessarily have fear of VPN bloat. I've seen it implemented successfully a number of times. I think if you do
the work in the
beginning and really spend the time building your policies and
figuring out who needs access to what, then it will be a lot
easier in the long run.

The huge advantage that you get is the ability to control access policies in one place. Well, or at least closer to one
place. Instead of putting access lists, rules, exceptions, etc in many devices, I can place them in one. I see
controlled and integrated security and I think it▓s a good thing.

Also, we have to consider what type of an environment it is.
I don't think it▓s necessarily the right solution for every place. Some people have customers they want to separate and
some want to separate
their network segments and want to get different things out of their management network.

By the way, the VPN I am referring to is SSL VPN. No need to NAT. Client/Zones can never actually connect to an IP of
the servers. Also, a big plus is that I don't need to push out a VPN client to every machine.

Don't get me wrong. I am all in favor of keeping the network simple.
Except that I think that the VPN actually makes it simpler. And more secure. Granted, it maybe only an improvement over
my current methods,
but what's the alternative? An alternative that can realistically be implemented in a world where you're not building
from scratch?