Home page logo
/

firewall-wizards logo Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

P2P traffic
From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 14:06:16 -0500

This is interesting reading. The statistics are a bit old but the conclusions probably remain accurate. Some management chains react to popular press conclusions. IMO, this is relevant to firewall and security admins for several reasons - bandwidth abuse and illegal distribution of licensed and copyrighted material are the most obvious.

Enjoy.

Is P2P dying or just hiding?

Abstract— Recent reports in the popular media suggest a significant
decrease in peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing traffic, attributed
to the public’s response to legal threats. Have we reached the end
of the P2P revolution? In pursuit of legitimate data to verify this
hypothesis, we embark on a more accurate measurement effort of
P2P traffic at the link level. In contrast to previous efforts we introduce two novel elements in our methodology. First, we measure
traffic of all known popular P2P protocols. Second, we go beyond
the “known port” limitation by reverse engineering the protocols
and identifying characteristic strings in the payload. We find that,
if measured accurately, P2P traffic has never declined; indeed we
have never seen the proportion of p2p traffic decrease over time
(any change is an increase) in any of our data sources.

http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/2004/p2p-dying/p2p-dying.pdf

  By Date           By Thread