Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Possible apache2/php 4.3.9 worm
From: "Alex Schultz" <aschultz () echo-inc com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:32:20 -0800

Some of the sites I administer were alledgedly hit by a worm last night.
It overwrote all .php/.html files that were owner writable and owned by
apache.  The worm put the following html in place of what was there:
 <HTML>
 <HEAD>
 <TITLE>This site is defaced!!!</TITLE>
 </HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor="#000000" text="#FF0000">
<H1>This site is defaced!!!</H1>
<HR>
<ADDRESS><b>NeverEverNoSanity WebWorm generation 17.</b></ADDRESS>
</BODY>
</HTML>

We were running apache 2.0.52 and php 4.3.9. Have any of you encounted
this before?  Also is there anything I should be aware of such as a
possible binary that may have been dropped?  Could this have been
accomplised by the upload path traversal vulnerability?  Google returns
nothing.

Thanks
-Alex Schultz