Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Network Sniffing
From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:56:46 +0100

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 08:26:41PM -0800, xtrecate wrote:
The article states that the FBI served subpoenas for specific information
from insecure.org, likely after finding evidence that some specific attacker
(who, no doubt, did something which deserves to be investigated) retrieved
data from insecure.org.  It would appear they are simply trying to
cross-reference logs to discover an attacker's real IP address.  This is
pretty legitimate, and Fyodor was apparently very diligent in ensuring all
information was retrieved via legal methods.

People intending to commit felonies over the internet, obviously, have
something to worry about... though I'm not sure why anyone would be
sympathetic to their plight.

This depends heavily on who decides what a felony is.
Just consider free speech in China. Brings you right into jail.
And I wouldn't go as far as to put the FBI (or any other such agency)
beyond doubt.
Same applies to our (german) authorities as well.

Take a look at:
http://www.insecure.org/tools.html
[...]
Note: The FBI is monitoring HTTP logs from insecure.org.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/25/1835238&from=rss

Florian

--
Memory fault -- core...uh...um...core... Oh dammit, I forget!

  By Date           By Thread