Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Why should one buy (or not) an Appliance-based security gateway?
From: "Bernardo Santos Wernesback" <bernardo () ish com br>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:55:04 -0300

Hi all,

A few colleagues and I started a discussion as to why one should or shouldn't buy an appliance-based firewall, ids/ips
or other security appliance instead of installing software on a server.

We thought about patching, performance, and other reason for each option but I'd like to hear what other people think.

I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts with me.

Thanks in advance,

Bernardo Santos Wernesback
Consultant / ISH Tecnologia
Phone: +55-27-3334-8900