Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Erasing a hard disk easily
From: amilabs <amilabs () optonline net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:49:23 -0400

I have a bunch of old computers I would like to donate. Old laptops with win
95/98 on them and some old tower desktops all circa 1995-2k.
I would like to know if I can just use a magnet to completely wipe out the
data for obvious security reasons. I have heard about the disk erasers like
active kill and Perl utilities for this but with the ability of data
ghosting etc. is this enough? Can I use a big magnet like a speaker magnet
or something like a degasser to just wipe out the data without having to
boot these old boxes and go through all the extra work.

Thanks