Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Erasing a hard disk easily
From: Dave Horsfall <dave () horsfall org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:57:16 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Gregh wrote:

Since that time I have seen sensationalist TV shows showing how FBI and
CIA operatives get stuff out written to a sector BEFORE the sector was
overwritten and I honestly cannot understand how that could be, if at
all possible. Am I right in thinking those shows are bull?

It's quite possible.  Simply put, you record what's on the disk.  Then,
you wind up the gain on the read amplifiers and re-read, subtracting what
you read last time.  What's left is what got recorded over...

-- Dave