Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Erasing a hard disk easily
From: Maarten <fulldisc () ultratux org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:50:55 +0200

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 19:16, Kain, Becki \(B.\) wrote:
Personally, I've used Eraser with the one pass option and tested it against
Encase and couldn't retrieve anything.  It's free, it's quick, and I'd
highly recommend it.

Well, however impressive Encase might look (I didn't know it) I think it is
safe to say that NO solely software based recovery is possible after a disk
wipe.  The real issue is when people start looking with specialized
equipment, but this invariably will involve a cleanroom and special tools,
either modified firmware, electron microscopes or anything in between.
But a wipe is IMO unrecoverable through _any_ userland software...

So, this does not really prove anything about your data being safe (or lost,
depending on your viewpoint) beyond that Encase cannot fix that.

It is all due to the disk reporting back ones and zeros. For recovery of
deleted data, you don't want such a digital yes/no signal, but an analog
signal, so that you can differentiate between reading a 0.04 and a 0.08
instead of treating both (correctly) as zero.  Drives do not offer that
(analog) output and without that you cannot restore nothin'.

Maarten