Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MD5 hash cracking service
From: "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss () netpublishing com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:22:31 -0700

Interesting, since MD5 hashes are supposed to be "one way", are they not?

I've often discussed setting up an "online cracking service" (think Alex
Moffet's crack seriously networked a la Beowulf with a Web interface).
Aside from the technical challenges of setting up and maintaining such
a project, the obvious issue, from a security perspective, would be trust.
For example, if I know that Alice connected from 12.3.4.5 and supplied
a hash/password, and I retained the unencrypted hash/password, would I
not now (potentially) have access to "something" (maybe accessible, maybe
privileged, maybe not) at 12.3.4.5?

Still, bravo to you for setting it up :-)