Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: RE: Any dissasemblies of the Witty worm yet?
From: "Disclosure From OSSI" <disclosure () ossecurity ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:32:23 -0500

Com'on. This is a worm. SQL Slamme binary is widely available on the net and
its dissembly (or "its source code") is everywhere with "google". For
example, part of it can be found at
http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Flash/sapphire.txt. With IDAPro
(http://www.datarescue.com/) (you must have heard of it, don't you?), the
SQL Slammer and/or Witty worms can be easily turned into their "original"
source code format (assembly).

Even viruses (or complex Windows system or applications) are reverse-engined
into assembly code to be analyzed, let alone a tiny worm like SQL Slammer or
Witty. Even worse, it becomes a trend that VxWriters release their orginal
C/C++/assembly code for copy-cats like W32.MyDoom.

Google around, you will see tons of shellcode which are most likely
precursor to worms. Technically, they are the same to exploit BOF
vulnerabilities.

A few sites are worthy of your time:

http://www.metasploit.com/
http://www.cnhonker.com/ (in Chinese)
http://www.xfocus.org
etc...

By the way, the offset quoted in my previous post has 0Eh (14 bytes) from
the http://isc.incidents.org/diary.html?date=2004-03-20 because I wanted to
align these function imports (analyzed automatically by a program) with the
dissembly done by Kostya Kortchinsky. After I posted it, I guessed that
14-bytes difference is an Ethernet header (6, 6, 2) used in the dissembly by
Kostya (not shown in Kostya's post).

Visit our website (http://www.ossecurity.ca) frequently for further
annoucement on advanced analysis tools for worms and viruses, and protection
products against them as well. These analysis tools could reduce analysis of
a new worm or virus to minutes or even seconds.

As to the comparison between SQL Slammer and Witty worms, it was my feeling
when I read through the Witty worm dissembly. I guess that you do not read
dissembly code, so you do not have such a feeling.

A worm can be transformed as: Hex Dump -> Binary -> Dissembled -> Analyzed
and commented by experts.
It can go further as: Dissembled -> Assembly Code -> Compiled into binary ->
hex dumped. Copycats can pop up during this transforming cycle.

So, read a few more books on assembly language and google around . . .

Peter Huang
OSsurance blocks simple BOF worms like "Witty" and protects your computer
and/or network from their devastating damages even if your computer is NOT
patched and NOT protected by a firewall.
http://www.ossecurity.ca/