Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: When do exploits get used?
From: Luke Norman <luke () normanonline co uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:07:10 +0000

>   I wonder if anyone has actually newly connected to the Internet in the

>last 6 months. Anybody buying a new XP computer that has a network
>connection will be infected by MSBlaster and find their machines almost
>unusable. People on this list would probably know how to disable the reboot >for RPCS using the Service manager, but most home users would have no idea
>how to fix the problem. I wonder how many computers are sitting there
>rebooting every few minutes because of blaster and no one knows what to do.

I ran my laptop online, for a few hours in the evening, on a 56k modem (no firewall) for a week, using unpatched vanilla XP Home. No sign of any virus infection so far - I'm ditching the machine in a week or so, so I was wondering how quickly it would get infected - and, as far as I can tell (AVG), it hasn't been
Luke