mailing list archives
Re: E-Mail viruses
From: "Earl Keyser" <Earl.Keyser () wayzata k12 mn us>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:04:45 -0600
As one method of dealing with these -
1. We use the Draconian technique of stripping all .exe .zip. ,gif .jpg
.scr .bat .pif files.
Inconvenient for some, life saver for others. For files that MUST be
sent, we use an alternate route - not network e-mail
2. We use McAfee EPO to push out updated dats daily.
3. We forbid all users from bringing in foreign machines and plugging
them in, since internal security is not as good as external security.
4. We send out reminders fairly often about safe usage.
4. We have a PIX, an IDS and me to monitor things.
Seems to work pretty well.
Earl Keyser, Network Specialist
Wayzata Public Schools
"Unix IS user-friendly. It's just picky about who its friends are."
This message has been scanned for viruses, security issues and content by ISD#284, but could have been infected during
transmission. This message is intended for the address(es) only. Its content is privileged, confidential, or
otherwise protected from use, disclosure or dissemination. Please contact the sender and delete the message if
received in error.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
- Re: E-Mail viruses Earl Keyser (Mar 04)