Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Regarding Adobe Acrobat Reader advisory (#NISR03022004)
From: NGSSoftware Insight Security Research <nisr () nextgenss com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:22:42 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Hello all,

I've been inundated with e-mails asking whether operating systems other than
Windows are affected by XFDF overflow. Whilst I did not state that Windows
is the only OS affected, and I should have done, I thought it was clear,
incorrectly, that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows was indeed the only one
and not Mac, *nix, etc.

From the original advisory:

When the xfdf file is parsed an unsafe call to sprintf is made in
preparation for outputting a debug message using OutputDebugString.

OutputDebugString is a Win32 API function, exported by kernel32.dll.
Conseqently, the vulnerable code path will exist only in the Windows
version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Cheers,
David Litchfield