Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Looking for a tool
From: "Dave Howe" <DaveHowe () cmn sharp-uk co uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:54:19 -0000

Gregh wrote:
...and on the other hand, spending time taking a computer out of the
loop and all that entails is much better than getting the job done
without fuss?
And indeed this is the principle usually applied to motor cars - you know
how to start and stop them and point them in vaguely the right direction,
but everything is by rote or is assisted (like automatic gearboxen).
However, you would expect the mechanic to *know* how the gearbox works,
not rely on the "Acme gearbox fixer" to do it for him and be completely
clueless on what to do next if it doesn't.

In other words, learn off the job and apply sensible practice once
there!
My boss strangely enough likes that idea - why should he pay for my
training (either implicitly in terms of my time taken or explicitly by
sending me on a training course) if I can be expected to buy or borrow my
own training materials *and* train myself to be more productive for him on
my own time?