Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Administrivia (was: RE: Re: Microsoft Secu rity, baby steps ? )
From: John.Airey () rnib org uk
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:20:27 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick FitzGerald [mailto:nick () virus-l demon co uk]
Sent: Friday, 19 March 2004 02:31
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: Administrivia (was: RE: [Full-disclosure] Re: Microsoft
Security, baby steps ? )

madsaxon <madsaxon () direcway com> wrote?

Also, when sending messages to multiple lists (say F-D and
Bugtraq), it
seems you may slightly reduce the multiple message spew that often
results on F-D because of the above by putting all the
addresses in the
To: header, rather than one in the To: and the other(s) in CC:.

Why is that, do you think?

Because, from a rather cursory look at several such multiple mails,
_some_ of those braindead "I'll forward it to every address I
can find
in the message headers even though it did not originate on-site" re-
posters only seem to do this with messages that have CC: headers.

Actually, it's still happening even with posts to the to: field.

A case in point is the message I sent to Bugtraq and Full-Disclosure
yesterday where all the entries were in the to line. Some of the bounce
messages I received (not the copious out of office messages which I delete
anyway) were saying that they were unable to deliver to full-disclosure or
bugtraq, which they shouldn't have been doing anyway.

One of these faulty remailers appeared to belong to Microsoft.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 John.Airey () rnib org uk

Shameless movie plug - go see the Passion of the Christ!

-
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

those of RNIB.