Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

OT MS Code names (Was Re: Re: NEVER open attachments)
From: Mike Barushok <mikehome () kcisp net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:00:37 -0600 (CST)

There does appear to be some places these code names have
been unofficially listed, i.e.
 http://gomo.no-ip.com/other/Microsoft%20Codenames.htm

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 gadgeteer () elegantinnovations org wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:42:10PM -0500, VB (vb () bitsmart com) wrote:
Thanks for the info. i did open your attachment.
Now dont hurt yourself falling off your high horse. I did not write Outlook
Express, perhaps your bitterness would be better off directed to those that
did.

from a private email:
[...]
  The original MS-MAIL came from a Canadian company
  that MS acquired way back. Some of the people in the
  Redmond building 16 were veterans from that old company.
  The reply semantics in their mail client dated back to
  those days, before MS was even on the scene.
[edit note: above bit refers to the top post and other M$ MUA behavior]

  Before that, in 1993 or so, I wrote a paper for a PM
  at MS which outlined how to fixup the then 'Capone'
  project (which was named 'Outlook' later) such that
  it interoperated with SMTP and POP and used sensible
  reply semantics. I didn't get that contract because the PM
  discovered that an engineer there had independently
  written his own Internet mail client, which was called
  'Athena' then, and which eventually became 'Outlook Express'.
[...]

PM == project manager

A little (perhaps) unwritten history...
--