Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] What Antivirus Should I Get
From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:13:14 -0600

Nancy Kramer wrote:
I would like list members to suggest what anti virus software
I should
get.

I have been fighting virii for 15 years, longer than either Norton or McAfee
have been.  Back then, they were mostly passed by sneakernet.  Over the
years, I have found multiple instances when fully updated versions of both
Norton and McAfee either could not find or could not remove a virus.  I have
not found one time that F-Prot, now F-Secure could not find and remove all
virii.

They were the first anti-virus company in the world, and IMHO still the
best.  On the technical side, one of their engines (they have 3) operates at
the very lowest level of I/O, immediately scanning a file as it comes off
the disk, before it enters memory or interacts with OS.  This makes it very
fast and very efficient.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke