Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New Remote Windows Exploit (MS04-029)
From: "Brent J. Nordquist" <b-nordquist () bethel edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:27:30 -0600

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 03:33:38PM -0200, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
Does anyone still have /tmp without noexec ?

/dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nodev,nosuid)

$ /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /tmp/anexe
(or in this case)
$ perl /tmp/hi

Those are just two off the top of my head; I've read of enough others
to wonder whether noexec /tmp really buys you much, other than tripping
up virus and trojan-horse writers that haven't considered that case
and planned for it (e.g. `pwd`/.hi instead of /tmp/hi).

--
Brent J. Nordquist <b-nordquist () bethel edu> N0BJN
Other contact information: http://kepler.its.bethel.edu/~bjn/contact.html