Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Spam sent via spambots?
From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl () mfn org>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:22:36 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

In another thread Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

Securing every machine on the internet would be a good start. 95% of all
spam messages I have seen lately gets send from DSL or Cable IP addresses.
These are machine which run spamware without the user knowing (s)he is
sending out spam by the buckets untill their ISP shuts them down.

Really?

95%?

Does anyone have sound statistics on how much spam comes from DSL/Cable
IP-space?

We see at minimum, several thousand a day, and while I can't give you a
statistic, I can state with great confidence that the vast majority,
likely a lot higher than 95%, comes from zombied machines, almost all on
DSL/Cable space.

And further, does anyone have any idea how to pick apart how much of
that is simply relaying type activity vs.dedicated spam-bot activity?

Does it matter?

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson