mailing list archives
Why is IRC still around?
From: Danny <nocmonkey () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:40:26 -0500
Well, it sure does help the anti-virus (anti-malware) and security
consulting business, but besides that... is it not safe to say that:
1) A hell of a lot of viruses/worms/trojans use IRC to wreck further havoc?
2) A considerable amount of "script kiddies" originate and grow through IRC?
3) A wee bit of software piracy occurs?
4) That many organized DoS attacks through PC zombies are initiated through IRC?
5) The anonymity of the whole thing helps to foster all the illegal
and malicious activity that occurs?
The list goes on and on...
Sorry to offend those that use IRC legitimately (LOL - find something
else to chat with your buddies), but why the hell are we not pushing
to sunset IRC?
What would IT be like today without IRC (or the like)? Am I narrow
minded to say that it would be a much safer place?
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
- Why is IRC still around? Danny (Nov 19)