mailing list archives
Re: Why is IRC still around?
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:23:21 -0500
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:40:26 EST, Danny said:
1) A hell of a lot of viruses/worms/trojans use IRC to wreck further havoc?
2) A considerable amount of "script kiddies" originate and grow through IRC?
3) A wee bit of software piracy occurs?
4) That many organized DoS attacks through PC zombies are initiated through IRC?
5) The anonymity of the whole thing helps to foster all the illegal
and malicious activity that occurs?
And is there *anything* on that list that is in the least bit IRC-specific,
or can any *other* IM system work just as well?
What would IT be like today without IRC (or the like)? Am I narrow
minded to say that it would be a much safer place?
Only if you *also* manage to stomp out AIM, and MSN Messenger, and Yahoo,
and Jabber, and... Because if you don't, they'll just pick up and move