Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why is IRC still around?
From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () ip-solutions net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:37:30 -0500

The fact that it is an open protocol makes it easy to spot, you don't look for specific ports you look for specific behavior (i.e. -> privmsg)

Not that I'm saying this should be done. IRC is used by many ppl in very good ways!

I'm just saying that the two points shouldn't be confused. SSL is a bit of a different story.

--Harry

Bowes, Ronald (EST) wrote:
[snip]
So do you intend to scan every computer on the Internet on port 6667, and
shut down every server found running, the move on to random ports that
zombies probably use, and start attacking sites that provide open source
clients that use an open protocol?