Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Time Expiry Alogorithm??
From: "Gautam R. Singh" <gautam.singh () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:45:07 +0530

Thanks list for the good discussion, now I going back to read crypto basics :)

Thanks & regards,
Gautam

Yo Gautum!

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Gautam R. Singh wrote:

I was just wondering is there any encrytpion alogortim which expires wit
h time.

IPSec, kerboros, etc. all use time as part of the auto-generated session
key to prevent playback attacks.

If a black hat has an intercepted message he wants to decode then he can
set his clock to anything he wants to.  Time is no help there, except
to expand the key search space if they are looking for an unknown key.
If they have the key already nothing you can do if they can reset their
clock.

All that time gets you is protection from replays.

RGDS
GARY

--
Gautam R. Singh