Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why is IRC still around?
From: Matthew Kent <matt () bravenet com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:30:22 +0000

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 17:40, Danny wrote:
Well, it sure does help the anti-virus (anti-malware) and security
consulting business, but besides that... is it not safe to say that:

1) A hell of a lot of viruses/worms/trojans use IRC to wreck further havoc?
2) A considerable amount of "script kiddies" originate and grow through IRC?
3) A wee bit of software piracy occurs?
4) That many organized DoS attacks through PC zombies are initiated through IRC?
5) The anonymity of the whole thing helps to foster all the illegal
and malicious activity that occurs?
The list goes on and on...

Sorry to offend those that use IRC legitimately (LOL - find something
else to chat with your buddies), but why the hell are we not pushing
to sunset IRC?

Who is 'we' and what makes you think anyone cares what you 'sunset'.

What would IT be like today without IRC (or the like)? Am I narrow
minded to say that it would be a much safer place?

This has to be a troll. It's just too stupid.

- M