Home page logo
/

fulldisclosure logo Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Windows user privileges
From: "joe" <mvp () joeware net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:21:53 -0500

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:19:49PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
Windows has several groups.  By default users are in the "USERS"
group, *not* the ADMINISTRATORS group.

On every XP install that I've seen from every major OEM (Dell,
Compaq, Gateway, etc) fast user switching is on by default
and every user is an administrator. Not "on most"; on every single one.

I would say that is more the fault of the configuration than anything.
Probably cheaper for the OEMs to do it that way from a educational
perspective, they don't have to teach the user anything, just say go.

  Joe

--
Pro-Choice
Let me choose if I even want a browser loaded thanks!